3 ledgers 3 v.
Covers period of April 25, 1809 - September 9, 1818.
Executive register entries note gubernatorial acts such as titles of laws passed and signed by the Governor and the territorial judges in their legislative capacity; memoranda of the Governor's orders; resignations (inc. names and dates) received from territorial or county officials and militia officers; proclamations; record of dates that the Governor entered or left the territory; notations of passports issued by the Governor; and requests for extraditions sent to him from governors of other territories, usually Orleans. Also included are proclamations by the President and a record of his appointment of the territorial Governor and Secretary plus lists of territorial officials.
Record Series 100.003, Records of the Secretary of the Territory, Illinois State Archives.
As prescribed by the Northwest Ordinance of 1787, the executive officer of a territory was a Governor appointed by the President of the United States. With the three territorial judges, the Governor also served as the legislative branch or Council of Revision until a General Assembly was elected in 1812. The Secretary of the Territory, who was also appointed by the President held the recordkeeping responsibilities for the Territory. This included the recording of all legislative acts, executive business and correspondence with other territories. Since the Secretary became acting Governor when the the Governor left the Territory, it was also nesecary to record these absences as well as maintain lists of local officials. From the time Illinois was separated from the Indiana Territory in 1809 until it was admitted to statehood in 1818, the records generated by the Governor and Secretary were preserved by the Secretary of the Territory as public documents.
Partial index available.
Forms part of : Record of the Secretary of the Territory.
Transcribed and indexed by Clarence Edwin Carter, ed., The Territory of Illinois, 1814-1818, in the Territorial Papers of the United States, XVII (Washington, D.C., 1950), p. 617-673.