Arranged in chronological order.
The collection consists of letters and documents related to the operations and activities of the San Francisco branch of the United States Mint. Included are instructions from Treasury Department officials in Washington (mainly for the period 1856-75) and employment recommendations from various persons.
Correspondents in the collection include: George Sewall Boutwell, Benjamin Helm Bristow, William Eaton Chandler, Howell Cobb, Schuyler Colfax, Joseph N. Dolph, William Pitt Fessenden, Lyman Judson Gage, James Guthrie, Hugh McColloch, William Medill, Thomas Collier Platt, William Adams Richardson, Ellis Henry Roberts, Billington Crum Whiting, and Elisha Whittlesey.
The United States Mint's San Francisco branch, authorized by Congress in July 1852, began operation in April 1854 in a three-story brick structure situated on Commercial Street between Montgomery and Kearny Streets. The mint was capable of coining $30 million annually, and it moved to a new building on 5th Street in 1874.
Guide to American historical manuscripts in the Huntington Library (San Marino, Calif. : H. E. Huntington Library and Art Gallery, 1979).
Unpublished preliminary inventory in repository.