Aufruf : double leaf broadside, 1912

Physikalisch-Technische Reichsanstalt (Germany)

Details

1 item (3 p.)..
This "strictly confidential" flyer, addressed to patrons of research in physics, appeals for financial support for the foundation of the Reichsanstalt, the first national research institute for pure and applied physics.
As a non-teaching establishment with a staff engaged in full-time research, using expensive equipment and facilities, the PTR represented a new kind of institution, and its significance for the emerging science-based technologies became widely recognized. The National Physical Laboratory in GB (founded in 1900) and the Bureau of Standards in the USA (founded in 1901) were modelled upon it. The chief originator was the technologist and industrialist Ernst Werner von Siemens (1816-1892), who donated the land at Charlottenburg, together with a substantial sum of money; additional capital and funds for the running expenses were provided by the German government. (From dealer's description).

Related Resources

View this description in WorldCat: http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/122448580