1 cubic ft. (5 boxes).
Arranged in order by flight line, roll number, and photograph numbers.
Aerial photographs are primarily of the Cedar River and Tolt Watersheds and pipeline, including routes through Seattle, Renton, and Tukwila -- Includes index maps.
Efforts to use Cedar River as a source of water for the City of Seattle were initiated in the 1890s by City Engineer R.H. Thomson. Water from the Cedar River Watershed was first delivered in 1901. Water was diverted by a dam at Landsburg, and then was channeled into a newly-completed 28.5 mile pipeline. This pipeline carried water to the Volunteer Park and Lincoln reservoirs on Capitol Hill in Seattle, which were also built at the time. In 1909, a second pipeline was built, and a third in 1923. In response to increased needs by a growing city, the Tolt River was explored as a source of water in the 1950s and the south fork of the Tolt began providing a new source of water supply to north Seattle and the east side beginning in 1964. In 1962, landowners signed the Cedar River Watershed Cooperative Agreement, which set up a process of land transfers that resulted in Seattle's complete ownership of its watershed lands. This led to further procedures for fire protection and public access control. In 1996, the U.S. Forest Service ceded its watershed land to the city, which gave Seattle final and sole ownership of the entire watershed.
Some photographs are available in the online photograph database; search using term 8204-03.
Cite as: Seattle Watershed and Pipeline Aerial Photographs, Record Series 8204-03. Seattle Municipal Archives.
Materials in English.
Finding aid available in the repository and on the Internet http://nwda-db.wsulibs.wsu.edu/findaid/ark:/80444/xv68755.