7 boxes (5.75 linear ft.)..
The Andrew Carnegie Collection is housed in seven archival boxes arranged in nine series. The series contain material covering many different aspects of Carnegie's life in multiple formats, from photographs, articles, and addresses, to books and items owned by Carnegie. Present in the collection is material covering Carnegie's life, interests, and experiences, including the founding of Carnegie Tech, correspondence connected to Carnegie Tech, various speeches given, his writings, records pertaining to several of his philanthropy organizations, and different pieces of memorabilia ranging from programs and pamphlets to physical items. The nine series have been designated for materials relating to: photographs and illustrations, correspondence, publications, articles and clippings, addresses, reports, memorabilia, miscellaneous, and books.
Andrew Carnegie was born on November 25, 1835 in Dunfermline, Scotland. In 1848, the family moved to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania where Carnegie eventually made his fortune in the steel industry. In 1900, he sold his steel company, to become the "richest man in the world" and dedicated his time to philanthropy. Carnegie created many funds, charities, and foundations to distribute his wealth, but the bulk of it would go towards education, mainly libraries. Carnegie was strongly opposed to war and used his finances for publications and conferences to promote peace. Through his efforts, he established eleven national hero funds, three temples of peace and an endowment for international peace. Andrew Carnegie died on August 11, 1919. Carnegie stated that a first class technical school would develop the latent talent of future generations in the Pittsburgh area. In November 1900, Carnegie presented a letter of gift to the mayor of Pittsburgh offering funds for a school of technology. The city of Pittsburgh purchased 32 acres adjoining Schenley Park in February 1903, followed by ground breaking in March 1905. The charter class of 1908 began classes in October 1905, comprising 120 students in engineering and architecture. The first class graduated in June 1908, with 54 diplomas presented. In March 1912, the Technical Schools was changed to the Carnegie Institute of Technology. Andrew Carnegie visited the school five times between April 1907 and October 1914.