ca. 80 cubic ft.
These are records of Georgetown College including presidential correspondence, registrar's office records, faculty minutes, and student records. Also included are fragmentary records from Bethel College.
Among the materials are presidential papers from Arthur Yager (1907-1913), Henry Noble Sherwood (1935-1936), and Samuel S. Hill (1942-1947); various presidential reports to the Board of Trustees; and faculty minutes (1839-1850, 1859-1904, 1906-1916). Other records include student grades, attendance and financial records (1837-1977); student society records, including the Adelphi Society (1811); registrar's office records; and treasurer's office correspondence and records (1940s). Correspondence files, miscellaneous reports, and various records from college offices are also available.
Bethel College materials include student grade records (1877-1933); records from a student ministerial association, the T.T. Eaton Society; and miscellaneous correspondence and reports relating to Georgetown's acquisition of Bethel's property.
Historical note: Georgetown College, the first Baptist college west of the Allegheny Mountains, was chartered and incorporated in 1829 by members of the Kentucky Baptist Education Association. The institution became co-educational in 1892 when it was consolidated with Georgetown Female Seminary. In addition, title to the property and endowment of Bethel College in Russellville, Kentucky, passed to Georgetown College in 1944. The college has continued to operate as a small liberal arts college with varying degrees of support and control from the Kentucky Baptist Convention.
Restrictions on access: Access to unprocessed materials may be restricted. Consult librarian.