1.4 cubic ft., and.
These are records of Central University. The materials include minutes of the university's board of curators, presidential correspondence, minutes of the alumni association, speeches, reports, and class records. Scattered items are included from the professional and preparatory schools operated by the university.
When the Presbyterian Church in Kentucky split into northern and southern branches in 1867, both factions claimed control of Centre College in Danville. A judgment in a federal court in favor of the northern branch led the southern synod to establish Central University in Richmond in 1873. Despite small enrollments and persistent financial problems, Central ran a law school, medical and dental schools (located in Louisville), and an on-campus preparatory department.
Three other preparatory schools, S.P. Lees Collegiate Institute in Jackson (presumably the predecessor of Lees Junior College), Hardin Collegiate Institute in Elizabethtown, and the Middlesborough University School in Middlesboro, were operated by Central. Soon after becoming coeducational in the 1890s, Central agreed to consolidate with Centre in 1901 because of financial strains. In 1906 its Richmond campus became the home of what is now Eastern Kentucky University.