Correspondence, letter-books, diaries, notebooks, newspaper clippings and printed items make up the collection. The correspondence includes letters to Bishop Lanigan from Bishops (including letters from Dr. Polding, Cardinal Moran, Archbishop Vaughan, Cardinal Cullen, Bishop James Quinn and Bishop Murray), from priests and the teaching orders of brothers and nuns within the Goulburn diocese, and from lay associations. Bishop Lanigan's handwritten copies of replies, and three letter-books collectively covering the period 1867-1895 are also in the papers. The two Lanigan diaries (1867-1900) include clippings and statistics, and there is further information on the diocese in his notebooks, which contain details on the building of the Cathedral (1886-1890), a statement of accounts for 1894, an account of deeds of church property and statistics on church building programmes (1867-1884). The remainder incorporates legal papers (wills, receipts, deeds), printed material such as pastoral letters, circulars and house rules; and some clippings from Irish newspapers and the Freeman's Journal (Sydney). ¿ 0̐.
William Lanigan, D.D. was born in Ireland, and studied under Cardinal Cullen at Irish College, Rome. In 1867 he succeeded Bishop Geoghegan as the Bishop of Goulburn, a diocese established three years earlier. He died in 1900. The Goulburn diocese became the Archdiocese of Canberra and Goulburn in 1948.
Manuscript reference no.: NLA MS 3718.
Restricted. Not for loan.
Guide to collections of manuscripts relating to Australia, C768.
Original held by Archbishop's House, Canberra.