United Church-Union United Methodist Church collection, 1846-1997

Details

6 cubic ft.
Organized into eleven series: Series I: Church history. Series II: Records of baptisms, marriages, deaths. Series III: Administration records. Series IV: Pastoral papers. Series V. Membership. Series VI: Committee records of church organizations. Series VII: Building. Series VIII: Publications. Series IX: Newspaper clippings. Series X: Photographs. Series XI: Bound volumes.
Records of the Union United Methodist Church and its successor, the United Church -- Includes baptism, confirmation, marriage and death; administrative records, committee records, pastoral papers, financial records, Sunday school records; membership records; correspondence; and publications. The collection mostly consists of loose papers grouped together depending on what organization created the papers, bound volumes and photographs are found at the end of the collection. The earliest records are in large bound books and are dated 1848.
The United Methodist Church in Washington, D.C., was founded on 13 Feb. 1846 and during the second meeting the lots of 812 and 814 20th Street were purchased. In 1847 the church building was completed and regular services were being held. By 1849, a local school was started in the basement of the church. The church was remodeled several times, and the entire front of the church was moved forward twice. During the Civil War, the church members opened its doors and allowed for the space to be used as a hospital for the many wounded soldiers. During this time, church services were held at the Friends Meeting House. It was due to this use as a hospital that the church front had to be repaired and moved forward. In 1910 a square bell tower was constructed, but due to a new city ordinance forbidding the ringing of church bells, the tower was never furnished with a bell. In Jan. 1975 the Union United Methodist Church merged with Concordia United Church of Christ to become The United Church - Die Vereinigte Kirche.
The material described in this catalog record is located in the collections of the Historical Society of Washington, D.C..
Collection is open for research. Some fragile material, notably the pre-1900 bound volumes and photographs, require special handling.
Materials in English.
Finding aid available in the repository.

Related Resources

View this description in WorldCat: http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/317296621