0.23 cubic feet.
This collection consists primarily of scientific articles by chemist Mary L. Willard and includes other materials concerning her career at Penn State.
Mary L. Willard was born on May 19, 1898 at Penn State in Moffatt Cottage which once stood where the west wing of Pattee Library is now located. Her father, Joseph Moody Willard, was Penn State University professor of mathematics and namesake of the Willard Building. After completing her Bachelor of Science and Master's degrees at Penn State in 1921 and 1923 (in chemistry and organic chemistry, respectively), she went on to earn her Ph. D. in organic chemistry at Cornell University in 1927. She returned to Penn State that year to establish a course in chemical microscopy. Full professor by 1948, she served as a mentor to many women in chemistry, chemical engineering, physics and pre-medicine. In 1930 she assisted the State College Police Department in an investigation by analyzing contraband alcohol, and from then on was called upon by the police department to provide her assistance in a variety of cases, including automobile accidents, forgeries, arson, and suicides, among others. She was given the Scroll honor award of the Pennsylvania Chapter of the American Institute of Chemists, the second woman to receive the award, and in 1957 was named an honorary member of the Fraternal Order of Police. In 1965 she was named Penn State Woman of the Year by the University Board of Trustees for her service to society in her study of criminology, and for her devotion to the University and to her field. She passed away in 1993.
In the University Archives, University Libraries, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pa. (#MGN 228).
Unrestricted access. These materials are stored offsite. Please allow three days for retrieval before use.