50.1. cubic ft 125 boxes.
The collection, dating from 1968, consists of correspondence, meeting minutes, grant files, committee files, personnel files, program files, activity files and subject files. The records concern accreditation, policy issues, expansion plans, financial issues, consortia memberships, staffing and other administrative affairs. Documented in depth are the Assessment Center, Alverno Campus Elementary School, Alverno Alumnae Association, Weekend College Program, Faculty Senate, President's Council, Alverno Board of Trustees, and the Alverno Ability-Based Curriculum.
The office of the President of Alverno College was created in 1948 when three School sisters of St. Francis institutions merged to create Alverno College. The first president was Augustine Scheele. In 1968, Joel Read became Alverno's second president. During her administration many changes have occurred such as creation of the Research Center on Women, Career Development Center and Alverno Childcare Program in 1970; establishment of the Off-Campus Experiential Learning Program in 1971; institution of Alverno's ability-based curriculum and Assessment Center in 1973; opening Center for Instructional Communication, opening of Kellogg Conference Center, and establishment of Business/Management Department in 1976; creation of Weekend College and Professional Communications Department in 1977; opening of Telesis Institute in 1980; launching of Alverno Institute in 1993; and Alverno's first Masters program--a Master of Arts in Education in 1996.
Restricted: Institutional permission required.
Finding aid available.