10.4. cubic feet 26 boxes.
The collection contains records of the Academic Dean's Office created during the tenure of Sr. Jutta Hollenbeck dating from 1936 to 1959. The collection largely consists of annual reports, correspondence, faculty memoranda, faculty personnel records, day books, meeting minutes, committee files, program files, and subject files. The records concern incorporation, accreditation, teacher certification, general policy issues, financial issues, consortia memberships, staffing, and other administrative issues.
The office of the Academic Dean was created in 1948 at the same time that lay students were first admitted to Alverno College. It was also at this time that three School Sisters of St. Francis institutions: Alverno Teacher's College, Alverno College of Music, and Sacred Heart School of Nursing were merging to form the four-year liberal arts college now known as Alverno College. Sr. Jutta Hollenbeck, then acting president of Alverno Teacher's College, became the first Academic Dean. During her administration, the new four-year Alverno College was incorporated and accredited by the North Central Association finalizing the change in curriculum from training young women for the sisterhood to instructing laywomen. Also, Alverno's 50 acre campus on South 39th Street in Milwaukee was planned and constructed; it opened in 1953.
Restricted: Institutional permission required.
Finding aid available.