19.9. cubic feet 29 boxes.
Collection contains the records of the Academic Dean's Office created during the tenure of Sr. Austin Doherty dating from 1978 until 1991. The collection largely consists of grant records, faculty personnel records, college institute files, meeting minutes, correspondence, faculty workshop records, faculty senate materials, and committee files. The records concern continuing accreditation, ongoing establishment of the Weekend College Program, evolution of the Alverno Learning Process, student issues, general policy issues, grant proposals and related activities, staffing, and other administrative issues.
The Office of the Academic Dean was created in 1948. The first Academic Dean was Sr. Jutta Hollenbeck and she was succeeded by Sr. J. Dolores Brunner (formerly Sr. M. Providencia), Sr. Bernarda Handrup, and Robert G. Pitman. Sr. Austin Doherty became Alverno's fifth Academic Dean shortly after the death of Robert Pitman in 1978. She presided over a period of growth, contemplation, and celebration. During her tenure, the Weekend College Program was firmly established; the Telesis Institute (Alverno's non-degree program) was opened and the Alverno College Institute enabling the college to support and share at the national level was launched in 1980; the Carnegie Institute for the Advancement of Teaching named Alverno's general education program one of the top three in 1986; Alverno celebrated its centennial in 1987; the one-hundredth commencement was celebrated in 1989; and Alverno's enrollment topped 2500 (the highest it had ever been) in 1991.
Restricted: Institutional permission required.
Finding aid available.