2 boxes (1.56 cu. ft.)..
The majority of material in this collection pertains to the Albuquerque Historical Society from the early 1980s to 2002. In the collection are the Society's constitution and bylaws, job duties of officers, treasurer's reports for May 1986-January 1998, board meeting minutes, 1993-2000, audit committee report of 1987 and financial committee minutes, budgets and other financial reports. There is also correspondence, 1983-2002, and membership information and directories, 1988-2001. Agendas, monthly meeting flyers, e-mails and faxes can also be found in the correspondence files. The clippings, articles, reports, and brochures relate to local history and people such as a Downtown Albuquerque walking tour, historic Inn of Los Poblanos, Harvey Girl Opal Hill, Ernie Pyle, founding of Albuquerque, history of banking, and Fairview Cemetery in Albuquerque (now called Fairview Memorial Park). 3 scrapbooks were added to the collection in October 2011.
The Albuquerque Historical Society (AHS) was founded in February 1947 as the Old Town Historical Society, sometimes called the Old Albuquerque Historical Society. Elizabeth Arnet Bennet, wife of the Society's first president, Dick Bennett, has been credited as the founder of the Society. The purpose was to research the history of Old Town and eventually establish a museum. The Society also wanted to restore buildings and landmarks of historical significance both locally and throughout the state. In the beginning, it focused attention on preserving the historic character of Albuquerque Old Town. In 1948-1949 the Society president, Irene Fisher, supervised the renovation of the plaza in Old Town. The Society had an impressive beginning with 149 members by the end of 1947, but by 1955, the organization had become inactive. In 1962 the Society reformed and renamed itself Albuquerque Historical Society. The Society's first meeting under its new name was on September 25, 1962. In 1967 the Albuquerque Historical Society donated its collection to the Albuquerque Museum of Art and History, forming the nucleus of the Museum's permanent history collection. According to the 1988 bylaws, the purpose of the organization is to foster study of early Albuquerque, the restoration and preservation of historic sites and to collect and preserve archives, records, documents and articles about the everyday life of original settlers and those who followed. The Society sponsors publications of local historical interest and a series of monthly programs covering a wide variety of topics related to some aspect of Albuquerque or New Mexico history. Periodically, the Society sponsors tours to historic points of interest in the Albuquerque metropolitan area and holds meetings or receptions in locations of special historic interest.
La Crónica de Nuévo Mexico, no. 27, March 1988 transferred to CSWR book collection.
Related archival material: Erna Fergusson Papers, and "Albuquerque - Groups - Historical Society - Albuquerque," Vertical File. Center for Southwest Research, University of New Mexico.
Collection is open for research.
Cite as: Albuquerque Historical Society Records, Center for Southwest Research, University Libraries, University of New Mexico.
Limited duplication of print and manuscript material allowed for research purposes. User/researcher is responsible for all copyright compliance.
Inventory available at the Center for Southwest Research and on WWW folder level control.