2 boxes (3 lin. ft.)..
Arranged by date.
The collection begins with newsletters dating back to 1962, 9 years before the center opened its doors, detailing plans to build the center, simply called "The National Cultural Center" until Jan. 23, 1964 when President Johnson signed an act to make it the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. Clippings, pamphlets, press releases, and broadside flyers suppliment this collection of emphemera relative to the Center.
The Kennedy Center, located on the banks of the Potomac River near the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, DC, opened to the public in September 1971. But its roots date back to 1958, when President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed bipartisan legislation creating a National Cultural Center. In honor of Eisenhower's vision for such a facility, one of the Kennedy Center's theaters was named for him. The National Cultural Center Act included four basic components: it authorized the Center's construction, spelled out an artistic mandate to present a wide variety of both classical and contemporary performances, specified an educational mission for the Center, and stated that the Center was to be an independent facility, self-sustaining and privately funded. As a result of this last stipulation, a mammoth fundraising campaign began immediately following the Act's passage into law. (from the Kennedy Center website, viewed June 3, 2005).
Title from container.
For research use in the library only; some restrictions may apply; Please contact curator.
Forms part of the Belknap Collection for the Performing Arts: Theatre and theatre groups.