2.5. linear ft.
Arranged into six series: 1. Administrative files, 1920-1973; 2. Roster sheets, 1952-1970; 3. Game programs, 1931-1970; 4. Newspaper clippings, 1951-1973; 5. Press material, 1953-1972; 6. Photographs, 1951-1970.
The collection consists of game programs, newspaper clippings, administrative files, rosters, score sheets, and press material. The bulk is from 1950 to 1973; materials prior to 1950 consist mainly of game programs. Administrative files include a brief history of the football program up to the 1930s. Order in the collection has been imposed by the archivist.
The football team had its unofficial beginning at the Drexel Institute in 1892 as a student-organized sport and began receiving funding from the institute in 1914. In 1920, W.J. McAvoy was appointed coach of major sports, including football, making him the first paid, full-time football coach. Football was suspended during World War II due to a drop in enrollment, but became more popular and more competitive after the war, leading to the team's first and only undefeated season in 1955. Attendance at games dwindled in the late 1960s and early 1970s, and Drexel's Board of Trustees voted to discontinue the football program in 1973.
Football Records, Drexel University Archives.
Consult University Archivist regarding copyright restrictions.
Department of Athletics records, Drexel University Archives.