Buffalo City Guard record books, 1847-1890

Buffalo City Guard (N.Y.). Company D.

Details

15 v. ; 36 cm. or smaller.
(1.5 linear ft.)..
Includes the constitution and by-laws, as adopted on 29 June 1870, amended to 16 Oct. 1876; minutes of meetings, 11 Aug. 1847-24 Sept. 1862, 11 Oct. 1869-24 Mar. 1890; roll books, 1 Aug. 1847-26 Feb. 1868; and a record of the military service of individual D Company members.
v. 1: Constitution and by-laws; v. 2: Minutes, 11 Aug. 1847-11 Sept. 1850; v. 3: Minutes, 25 Sept. 1850-29 Sept. 1858; v. 4: Minutes, 6 Oct. 1858-24 Sept. 1862; v. 5: Minutes, 11 Oct. 1869-1 Nov. 1871; v. 6: Minutes, 15 Nov. 1871-18 June 1873; v. 7: Minutes, 25 June 1873-17 Aug. 1874; v. 8: Minutes, 24 Aug. 1874-11 Dec. 1876; v. 9: Minutes, 19 Dec. 1876-29 Dec. 1879; v. 10: Minutes, 3 Jan. 1880-3 Jan. 1882; v. 11: Minutes, 9 Jan. 1882-23 June 1884; v. 12: Minutes, 30 June 1884-27 Dec. 1886; v. 13: Minutes, 3 Jan. 1887-24 Mar. 1890; v. 14: Roll book, 1 Aug. 1847-31 Dec. 1856; v. 15: Roll book, 17 Jan. 1857-26 Feb. 1868; v. 16: History of members of D Company.
One of the ten companies comprising Buffalo's first uniformed militia regiment, organized after the Patriot War of 1837, with James McKay as colonel, Dr. Ebenzer Johnson as lieutenant colonel, and George P. Barker as major. The Buffalo City Guard was officially part of the 37th Regiment of Artillery, New York State Militia. When the state militia was reorganized in 1848, Company D became part of the 65th Regiment. In July 1852, the company withdrew from the 65th Regiment and formed an independent organization known as D Company, Independent Guard. Daniel Bidwell was elected captain. D Company became the nucleus of the new 74th Regiment, N.Y.S.M., organized in June 1854. Volunteers from the 74th Regiment formed the core of the 21st New York State Volunteers, organized in April 1861. Members of the 74th also served with other New York volunteer regiments, including the 49th, 116th, and 94th. Company D left the 74th Regiment in 1870, and incorporated as Company D, Independent Guard, with W.C. Alberger as captain. In 1871, the name was changed to Company D, Buffalo City Guard. The company was dissolved in the mid-1890s.
Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society Archives, Mss. W-146, Buffalo City Guard, D Company, Record Books.

Related Resources

View this description in WorldCat: http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/61145426