27.2. linear ft.
The records of the Department of Athletics consist primarily of compilations of newspaper clippings and press releases relating to athletics in general or to more than one sport. The collection also includes media guides and programs of men's and women's sports, files on individual athletes containing personal data and photographs, subject files on the East Coast and Middle Atlantic States conferences, and a small series of administrative files.
Athletic competition began informally at Drexel in 1892, when students organized their own intramural games. By 1896, an athletic association for men's sports had been formed; the women's athletic association would form later, around 1908. Athletics first received funding from the school under the tenure of Hollis Godfrey in 1914. In 1920, the Drexel Institute hired its first full-time paid coach, W.J. McAvoy, to coach men's competitive sports. Originally governed by a faculty council, athletics became part of the Department of Physical Education in 1945, and it was elevated to department status under the dean of the faculty. After an unsuccessful attempt to begin awarding athletic scholarships in the early 1930s, a more successful program was introduced in 1948. Drexel became a member of the Middle Atlantic States Conference Athletic Association in 1920 and the East Coast Athletic Conference in 1977.
Portions may be restricted pending review. Consult University Archives: email@example.com.
Department of Athletics Records, Drexel University Archives.
Consult University Archivist regarding copyright restrictions.
See also collections for individual men's and women's sports.
Inventory and container list available: consult University Archivist.