1.2. linear ft.
The bulk of the collection consists of scrapbooks containing clippings published on the event of Childs's death and shortly after it. Most of the clippings document Childs's life, his illness and death, his funeral, and the transfer of ownership of the Ledger to George W. Childs Drexel. The rest of the collection consists of publications about Childs, memorial addresses in his honor, and some correspondence, including a letter signed by President Grover Cleveland from 1891. Although much of the material is from the 1890s, an 1845 book by Childs for teaching children to draw and a few twentieth-century items about Childs are included in the collection.
George W. Childs (1829-1894) was the founder and editor of the Philadelphia Public Ledger, a noted philanthropist, and a longtime friend of Anthony J. Drexel. Born in Baltimore, he moved to Philadelphia to work for a bookseller at age fourteen and soon went into business for himself at the age of eighteen. In 1849, he became a partner in the publishing firm of R.E. Petersen & Company, and in 1860 he formed a partnership with the influential publisher J.P. Lippincott. In 1864, he purchased the Philadelphia Public Ledger, in which Anthony J. Drexel would become a silent business partner. Childs was influential in encouraging Drexel to establish a school for the education of men and women, and he served on the institute's board of trustees from the school's founding until his death. After his death, ownership of the Ledger and of Childs's property passed to Drexel's son, George W. Childs Drexel.
The collection is open for research use.
George W. Childs Collection, Drexel University Archives.
Consult University Archivist regarding copyright restrictions.
Inventory and container list available: consult University Archivist.