12.5. linear ft.
The collection is composed primarily of the minutes of the University Faculty (1894-1896, 1907, 1913-1922, 1948-1986) and the Faculty Council (1922-1948, 1952-1954, 1967-1986). The collection also contains copies of the University Faculty's bylaws, revisions, and draft revisions dating from the 1970s, correspondence from the 1940s through 1970s, files on standing and ad hoc committees, and subject files, the bulk of which were created by Faculty Council chair Robert Coren in the early 1970s.
The first faculty council was established by President Kenneth G. Matheson in 1922 and consisted of the president, institute administrators such as deans and program directors, and department heads. Matheson's successor, Parke R. Kolbe, increased the council's membership to all with the rank of professor in 1932 or 1933. This expanded Faculty Council's name was changed to "Institute Faculty" in 1947, and later to "University Faculty" in 1970. A smaller governing committee called the Committee on Faculty Affairs (later Committee on Nominations and Faculty Affairs) took an executive role in faculty governance. Governance by a smaller representative group resumed in 1969, when a new Faculty Council, consisting of one member for every 25 faculty, was established.
Portions of the collection may be restricted pending review; consult University Archivist, firstname.lastname@example.org.
University Faculty and Faculty Council Records, Drexel University Archives.
Consult University Archivist regarding copyright restrictions.
Inventory and container list available: consult University Archivist.