Photograph collection, 1929-[ongoing]

Lincoln University (Jefferson City, Mo.).

Details

0.5. linear ft.
Topics include commencement (1932-1940), graduates (1928-1944), Founders Day, campus scenes, campus activities, sports, homecoming (1932-1976), student organizations, Greek organizations, student housing, Student Government Association, alumni, faculty, staff, presidents, nursery school, laboratory schools, buildings, college departments, ROTC (1956-1960), and agriculture.
Lincoln University was founded as Lincoln Institute by the white officers and black enlisted men of the 62nd and 65th U.S. Colored infantries of the Civil War who donated $6400 to help fund the school; opened Sept. 17, 1866 in Jefferson City, Mo., with a class of two and with Lt. Richard B. Foster, a white officer of the 62nd U.S. Colored Infantry, as principal; college department was added in 1887; Lincoln Institute formally became a state institution in 1879 with the deeding of the property to the state; under the second Morrill Act of 1890 it became a land grant institution; designated a university in 1921.
Part of the Cooperative HBCU Archival Survey Project (CHASP) to survey the archival collections housed in the Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs).
No restrictions on access to materials.
Photograph collection, Ethnic Studies Center and University Archives, Inman E. Page Library, Lincoln University.
Subject list is available in the repository.

Related Resources

View this description in WorldCat: http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/70973500