68 linear ft.
Correspondence, staff meeting materials and annual convention reports, photographs, and other records, mainly from the Catholic interracial organization Chicago Friendship House (FH) and national headquarters; together with records from Friendship Houses in Shreveport (La.), New York City, Portland (Or.), and Washington, D.C. Includes information on the operation of the Friendship Houses, known as centers, and on the policies of the Catholic Church on social issues, problems generated by racial injustice and discrimination in Chicago area schools, hospitals, churches, and housing, civil rights activities, the Friendship House publication "Community," interracial home-visit programs, the Childerly Farm (or Childerley Farm) retreat near Wheeling (Ill.), and on the Madonna Houses established in Canada by Baroness Catherine de Hueck Doherty. Correspondents and authors of materials include Monsignor Daniel M. Cantwell, a Chicago Friendship House chaplain; Baroness Doherty, and staff workers Ann Harrigan, John Kearney, Betty Plank, Betty Schneider, and Al Schorsch.
Friendship House was a Catholic interracial apostolate founded in Toronto in the early 1930s, then New York City in 1938, and established in Chicago in 1942. Friendship House Chicago closed its facilities on March 31, 2000.
Boxes 134-150 are closed until 2025. Boxes 162-165 are closed until 2071.
Related materials at Chicago History Museum, Research Center, include the John Kearney papers; the Friendship House (Chicago, Ill.) photograph collection, part 1 (1980.0174) and the Friendship House (Chicago, Ill.) photograph collection, part 2 (2009.0034); and papers of other Catholic race relations organizations and workers.
Descriptive inventory available online.