6.5 cubic ft. (44 v.)..
Arranged by case. no./chronologically.
The State Reform School was founded in 1847 and opened in 1848 at Westborough for the instruction, discipline, employment, and reform of male juvenile offenders in Massachusetts. It was renamed the Lyman School for Boys in 1884 and closed in 1972. Case histories gathered background information on each inmate upon commitment and recorded stay at the school -- Information includes inmate case no., name, commitment date, date and place of birth, committing authority, reason for commitment, address, family information, physical characteristics, personal habits, and educational and social background. Remarks concern general character and a follow-up after discharge. Scattered items laid in.
Series incomplete. Includes case no. 1330-6844, 7120-9787 (Oct. 1865-July 1896, June 1898-Dec. 1911). Vols. numbered 5-23, 25-49. For later admissions see: Client case files, 1901-1964 (bulk 1901-1941) ((M-Ar)884X).
Alphabetical by name through 1916; included with series.
Agency history record (CStRLIN)MASVAH0072-A describes the history and functions of the Lyman School for Boys.