80 boxes (68 linear ft.)..
Barry University Archives holds over 18,000 photographs, photo albums, negatives and slides that document the growth and development of Barry University since 1940 through the present time.
The collection consists of portraits of Barry University employees, faculty, students and alumni, as well as photographs of the university schools and departments, campus buildings, exhibitions, events, and athletics.
The collection is arranged in chronological order within series and sub-series.
Originally conceptualized by the Most Reverend Patrick Barry, Bishop of St. Augustine, and Reverend Mother M. Gerald Barry, Prioress General of the Dominican Sisters of Adrian, Michigan, plans for Barry College received active support from Reverend William Barry, Pastor of St. Patricks Church of Miami Beach, and John Thompson, Mayor of Miami Shores, Florida.
In June 1940, a forty-acre tract of tropical vegetation located in residential Miami Shores was transformed into the campus of Barry College. By action of the Board of Trustees, the college became Barry University on November 13, 1981.
Since Barry first opened its doors, the campus has expanded to more than 122 acres and 17 locations throughout Florida. The faculty and administration have combined efforts to develop high quality academic programs so that needs of both the students and the local community would be served. Examples of this development include the inauguration and accreditation of such programs as Nursing, Teacher Education, Medical Technology, and Social Work. Needs of the local community led Barry to begin graduate programs for men and women in 1954, a Continuing Education Program in 1974, a School of Business in 1976, a Division of Biological and Biomedical Sciences in 1983, a School of Podiatric Medicine in the Fall of 1985, and a School of Law in 1999.
Barry University has had six Adrian Dominican Sisters serve as president since its inception: Mother M. Gerald Barry, 1940-1961; Mother M. Genevieve Weber, 1962-1963; Sister M. Dorothy Browne, 1963-1974; Sister M. Trinita Flood, 1974-1981; Sister Jeanne O'Laughlin, 1981-2004; and Sister Linda Bevilacqua, July 2004 to the present.
This collection is open for research.
Finding Aid is available at Barry University Archives and Special Collections Department.