12.927 linear ft.
Press releases, news articles, correspondence, photographs and biographies of designers and manufacturers relating to the Couture Group of the New York Dress Institute.
Access: Open to researchers by appointment at the Fashion Institute of Technology Library Special Collections and College Archives.
Gladys Marcus Library Special Collections and College Archives; Goodman Resource Center, E427, Fashion Institute of Technology, 7th Avenue at 27th Street, New York, NY 10001; USA; 212.217.4385.
Special Collections and College Archives does not own copyright for all material held in its physical custody. It is the obligation of the researcher to abide by and satisfy copyright law (http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#108) when copying or using materials (including digital materials) found in or made available from the department. When possible the department will inform a researcher about the copyright status of material; the obligations of the researcher with regard to such material and wherever possible the owner or owners of the copyrights. Any and all reproduction of originals is at the discretion of the archivist.
The Couture Group of the New York Dress Institute was launched in late 1942 and early 1943 under the leadership of Eleanor Lambert. The Group initially consisted of eleven designers and high-end manufacturers who hoped to draw attention to American fashion design. When the Group disbanded in the late 1960's, it numbered about thirty clients. Much of the Group's publicity was generated during the semiannual National Press Weeks, which presented Spring and Fall collections for the international press.
Finding aid available.