1.6 cubic ft. (1 record center carton and 1 doc. box).
The State Reform School was founded in 1847 and opened in 1848 at Westborough for the instruction, discipline, employment, and reform of male juvenile offenders in Massachusetts. It was renamed the Lyman School for Boys in 1884 and closed in 1972. Series consists of administrative files of the Lyman School, primarily of superintendent John Borys (1956-1964) -- Files include incoming and copies of outgoing correspondence, reports, announcements, and printed items. Correspondents include employees, chaplains and other staff; professional and volunteer community contacts, and government agencies. Subjects include budgeting; staff scheduling, meetings, guidelines, training, and grievances; parole decisions; accounts of volunteer and clergy counseling of boys; details of school activities and holiday and summer camp arrangements; and community invitations and contributions. An earlier batch of papers, 1926-1941, consists largely of correspondence, plans, and bills relating to construction of housing cottages at the school.
Youth services client information restricted by statutory provision; for conditions of access consult repository;.
Agency history record (CStRLIN)MASVAH0072-A/(OCoLC)82997907 describes the history and functions of the Lyman School for Boys.