0.01 Cubic feet 1 folder.
This collection is arranged chronologically.
This collection includes a printed card from Starr Piano Company in Indianapolis, Indiana, regarding business advertising.
The Starr Piano Company began as the Trayser Piano Company in 1872, co-founded by James Starr. In 1878, Benjamin Starr joined his brother James and the company was reorganized as the Chase Piano Company. They bought land in Richmond, Indiana in 1884 and constructed the buildings, renaming the business Starr Piano Company in 1893. It became one of the largest employers in Richmond and constructed pianos until the 1950s. By the 1920s, recordings were also produced, and the Gennett Records Division became known for producing early jazz, blues and country artists, including Hoagy Carmichael.The Indianapolis office was located at 13 W. Washington Street until October 1, 1901, after which it was located at 138-140 Pennsylvania Street, through 1919."Starr Piano Company". Indianapolis Star, 1901-1919. Retrieved 2014/08/18. http://access.newspaperarchive.com/tags"Starr Piano Company". Indianapolis Sun, 1901. Retrieved 2014/08/18. http://access.newspaperarchive.com/tags"Starr Piano Company". Retrieved 2014/08/18. http://www.mrlinfo.org/history/business/starrpiano_bus.htm"Starr Piano Company". Retrieved 2014/08/18. http://www.waynet.org/nonprofit/gennett.htm.
Processing Information: Collection processing completed 2014/08/18 by Edythe Huffman. EAD finding aid created 2014/08/18 by Edythe Huffman.
This collection is open for research.
Starr Piano Company collection, Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library.
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
No further additions are expected.