0.25 cubic feet (52 photographs).
The Photographic views of Sever Hall provide a visual record of an architecturally significant building on Harvard University's campus designed by renowned architect H. H. Richardson, as well as its grounds and the surrounding area from 1881 to 1982. The 52 images consist of photographs and postcards, and formats include albumen prints, gelatin silver prints, collotype prints, and letterpress halftone prints.
Completed in 1880, Sever Hall is a classroom building at Harvard University that was designed by renowned architect H. H. Richardson. It was named for Ann E. P. Sever, the widow of Colonel James Warren Sever, after she contributed $100,000 from her will toward the $115,000 construction costs. The Richardsonian Romanesque building is known for its intricate brickwork exterior and flexible interior that can be easily updated and remodeled as the needs of users change over time. It is also lauded as one of the most significant examples of Richardson's work. It is located on the eastern edge of Harvard Yard.
Open for research.
Photographic views of Sever Hall, 1881-1982. HUV 50, Harvard University Archives.
Detailed inventory available electronically: http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:HUL.ARCH:hua08016.