0.66 cubic ft.
This collection contains records of the Hillsboro Circuit of the Methodist Episcopal Church (later the Methodist Church, Hillsboro Charge). Included are original and photocopied record books of the Hillsboro Circuit Methodist Episcopal Church from 1890 to 1910 [bound original and copy available] and from 1941 to 1976 [photocopy only]. Each record book contains a history, lists of provisional members and members, and records of marriages, births, baptisms and deaths. Also available in the collection is a bound ledger book containing the minutes and membership dues of the Mite Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Lovettsville, Va., from 1907 to 1914. A compiled list of Bethel church pastors from 1869 to 2006 is included. Original bound volumes have been removed and stored separately. Bound volumes are fragile, researchers must use photocopies.
The Methodist church was established in Loudoun sometime before 1766, when a meeting house was built in Leesburg with new churches soon following in Middleburg and Aldie. In August 1790, the Virginia Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church met in Leesburg. The Methodist Episcopal Church expanded throughout Loudoun County in the 19th Century. In 1818 Jacob Houser (1760-1828) sold a lot of land in Lovettsville to a committee of local Methodist Episcopal Church members for the construction of Rehoboth Church. This was followed by the construction of Arnold Grove Church near Hillsboro in the 1830s. Discord arose in the mid-nineteenth century over the question of slavery - the Methodist church supported abolition alienating many in the South. In 1848, the Leesburg congregation split with supporters of slavery leaving to form the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Similar splits occurred in other congregations. New churches were established in Loudoun after the split, including Bethel Church in 1859. Following the American Civil War, African Americans began to form their own Methodist Episcopal churches, including Mount Zion Church in 1867 and Grace Methodist Episcopal in 1872. At the 1890 Annual Virginia Conference, a new Hillsboro Circuit was divided out of the existing Leesburg Circuit. Churches forming the new Hillsboro Circuit were Arnold Grove, Ebenezer, Rehoboth, and Mount Olivet. A new church at Silver Grove was also incorporated. Reverend Joseph S. Wickline (1843-1925) was placed in charge of the new circuit and served as Pastor until 1891. During this time, the old Rehoboth Church was torn down and replaced by a new church building. Hillsboro Circuit records document the completion and dedication of the new Rehoboth church in 1892. Several churches in the area formed aid societies around this time, such as the Ladies Aid Society at the Round Hill Methodist Episcopal Church, established in 1894. Other groups, such as the Mite Society, established at the Lovettsville Church sometime before 1907, included both men and women as members. Aid societies raised funds for church improvements and equipment through regular dues as well as fundraising events such as church fairs. In 1939, the Methodist Episcopal Church, the Methodist Episcopal Church, South and the Methodist Protestant Church unified, becoming The Methodist Church. Records from the Hillsboro Circuit following the unification note funds raised to build parsonages at Lovettsville and Waterford and for restoration of the Rehoboth Church. In 1968, the Methodist Church united with the Evangelical United Brethren forming the United Methodist Church.
The material described in this catalog record is located in the collections of the Thomas Balch Library, Leesburg, Va.
Formerly cataloged as V REF 975.528 REC.
Collection open for research. No physical characteristics affect use of this material.
Cite as: Hillsboro Circuit Methodist Episcopal Church, Virginia (M 0122), Thomas Balch Library, Leesburg, Va.
Physical characteristics and conditions affect use of this material. Photocopying not permitted.