1 scrapbook (approximately 280 leaves) : illustrations ; 32 cm.
Files of correspondence and newspaper and magazine clippings, dated 1915-1941, related to the operations and management of Silverwood's, a men's clothing store in Los Angeles, California Silverwood's was founded in 1894 by Francis Bernard ("Daddy") Silverwood, Los Angeles clothier, merchant, and businessman, originally from Canada, near Lindsay, Ontario. The first store was located at 124 South Spring St. in Los Angeles, and soon moved to larger quarters at 221 South Spring St. The flagship store was established in 1904 at Sixth & Broadway in downtown Los Angeles, and underwent renovation and expansion in 1921, shortly before F.B. Silverwood died in March 1924. The first file of correspondence relates to Silverwood's financial problems, the debts related to the lease and expansion of the store at Sixth & Broadway, Silverwood's final illness and death, and the legal problems surrounding his estate. The file contains copies of the letters and telegrams that Silverwood's longtime partner, George Edward Nagel, sent to his family in Canada, and to several business associates informing them of Silverwood's death. There are several letters from Silverwood's brothers, Albert Edward Silverwood, president of Silverwood Dairies in London, Ontario, and Thomas H. Silverwood of Beaumont, California; and from his sisters, Jennie McCulloch and Lilla Grant in Toronto, Canada, all of whom were eager to learn if they would inherit money from the estate. After Silverwood's death, G.E. Nagel assumed operation of the firm, assisted by general manager, Arthur K. Rebard, who had started at the company many years before as a stock boy. Under their direction, F.B. Silverwood's debts were paid off, his good name and credit were maintained, and the store continued to flourish. The second file of correspondence contains correspondence and publicity surrounding the grand opening of a new and elegant branch store at 5522 Wilshire Boulevard on the "Miracle Mile." There are letters to contractors and suppliers for the new store, regarding such matters as walnut panelling, stationery, neon signs, and advertising for the opening. Also included are many telegrams and letters from well-wishers, and newspaper clippings featuring stories on the opening from the Los Angeles Examiner, Los Angeles Evening Express, Illustrated Daily News, Los Angeles Times, Hollywood Citizen-News, Los Angeles Evening Herald, and the Los Angeles Record of Sept, Oct, and Nov 1929. Nagel also kept a 3-page list of the names of all the business associates and friends who sent floral tributes for the opening festivities, which included a 1-ring circus on an empty lot next door. Also included are 2 black-and-white photographs of the Silverwood's store at Sixth & Broadway by Philip R. duBois, and a printed booklet (ca. 1917), entitled "The story of the little song" by F.B. Silverwood, describing a program started by Silverwood to help newsboys build their savings accounts. The boys were to sell six copies of the song "We want the flowers now," with lyrics by Silverwood (who also wrote the official California state song, "I love you California") and music by Mr. Gay, for which would they have one dollar added to their savings account. Thereafter, Silverwood promised to add a dollar a year to each account. The booklet also contains a large photograph of the portly Mr. Silverwood. Laid in the booklet are typed and written drafts of poems by Silverwood, one on stationery of the Jonathan Club of Los Angeles where he resided in his later years, following his final divorce. The remaining clippings and articles are affixed to rectos and versos of the first 27 leaves of the scrapbook, most featuring stories on the opening of the Wilshire store in 1929 from newspapers such as the Los Angeles Evening Herald, Wilshire News, California Daily Bruin, B'nai Brith Messenger, Illustrated Daily News, Hancock Park Press, and American Legion. There are also several articles on the opening from trade publications such as the Western Clothier, Hatter and Haberdasher, and Men's Wear Chicago Apparel Gazette. The opening of a third branch store at 6555 Hollywood Blvd in 1931 is also featured in many of the articles. Finally, there is a glossy promotional publication, dated 1941, from Silverwood Dairies, Ltd., which had been founded by Silverwood's younger brother Albert, celebrating the opening of a modern dairy processing facility in London, Ontario.
Title supplied by cataloger.
Scrapbook includes 29 leaves of newspaper clippings, and 37 blank leaves at end, with two files of correspondence and memorabilia laid in.
Bound in green cloth over boards, printed in black; cover title "Scrap Book;" small manufacturer's stamp in lower left corner of inside back cover: "Weis No. 103 Patented."..
Forms part of the Scrapbook Collection (Collection 155) in the Charles E. Young Research Library Department of Special Collections at UCLA.